October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month! Breast cancer is the most common cancer and second leading cause of cancer death for Canadian women. The National Breast Cancer Foundation reported that a woman is diagnosed with breast cancer every two minutes. This October Elpizo is joining the fight and helping to make a difference in the lives of those affected by breast cancer.
An interesting fact about breast cancer is that the left breast seems to develop cancer more often than the right breast, which scientists have yet to figure out why. Also, men can develop breast cancer too. Less than 1% of all breast cancers occur in men and each year in Canada, approximately 220 men are diagnosed with breast cancer – having approximately 60 men die from the disease.
There are many ways for you to contribute to the fight against breast cancer and support those currently battling it:
- Self Breast Examination: Breast self-exams are important for the early detection of any cancer,, they do not take up too much time and it’s not painful or uncomfortable. Click here to watch a quick video on how to do a breast self-exam.
- Education: There are many free and informative articles, websites, and ebooks you can check out to learn about breast cancer and the effects it has on men and women. Simply do a Google search for ‘breast cancer’ and you’ll have a world of information that is just one click away.
- Donations: A little can go a long way and anything is always appreciated! You can donate to screening and treatment centres or organizations that support breast cancer research.
- Support: You can now virtually volunteer by hosting online fundraisers and spreading the word + sharing the news about breast cancer awareness.
- Be positive and hopeful: Being open and sharing your stories about how you or someone you know have been affected by breast cancer. Wearing a pink ribbon will also help spread awareness and get the conversations starting!
To all our cancer warriors, Elpizo is fighting with you in hope. On October 25th, Elpizo will be hosting a yoga session at 11 am, followed by a paint and sip on October 30th time to be confirmed.
Come join us in the fight against breast cancer by spreading the word and bringing awareness to this disease. If you would like to make a donation for cancer research, visit our Facebook page and donate funds through our Canadian Cancer Society fundraiser